Monday 25 March 2013

I am quite enough in love.


Well hello everyone, it’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted on this. In my defence I’ve simply been spoiled with a couple visitors from the states and haven’t had much time to sit and digest everything that’s happened.

Last post I believe I mentioned I was taking a trip to see Jane Austen’s house in Alton, England with my friend Trisha who was visiting from the states. That was an adventure to say the least. We set out from Surbiton station, I had compiled the right direction and was feeling pretty confident on where about we needed to go. We correctly made it to the Alton train station where we were to catch a bus, and thankfully we at least got on the right bus but completely missed our stop. Nervousness started to settle in as we watched the sign for the Jane Austen house come into view as the bus turned the opposite way.  Needless to say we were stuck on the bus for over an hour and ended up in some town way out of the way. Thankfully we purchased a return ticket and hopped back on this time getting off of at the right stop and finding our way. The only upside to being lost was having a nice little tour of the country side, a different scene then what I’m use to.
When we arrived at the Jane Austen house it was a quaint little setting, with lush green grass and a cute little cat to go along with it. Walking the halls of this small house was such an awesome experience. They had some of her personal belongings, as well as her writing desk, which was fantastic to see. When I was looking out of the windows in the house I tried my best to picture what she saw everyday, where she gathered her inspiration. The sight I saw before me, just like hers, was beautiful even if now it faced onto a nice little tea restaurant. I could only imagine what it must have looked back then with the sun shinning along the fields and being able to paint a picture for her. Visiting this house taught me a lot about this great author and was happy to have experienced this.

Unfortunately for me there was no Mr. Darcy lurking about ready to pop out around the corner, so I guess it’s back to the book for me.

While I’ve been abroad I have experienced both Valentines day, completely a hallmark holiday here minus the hallmark and just a bit more flowers &hearts, as well as St.Patrick’s Day. It was strange for me to not see people dressed head to toe in green, stumbling drunks and the smell of disgusting beer. Yes some of the pubs here were holding events, but that was partially because it was the Six Nations Rugby, so the atmosphere was intense and there was no where to sit. Luckily we found a spot in an Irish pub settled in a grabbed some traditional Irish stew. I must say this was pretty fantastic, nothing like what I’m use to on St.Patty’s Day, but it was the next best thing. It was strange to see everyone back home posting things about St.Patty’s day and here was a calm setting with nothing much but a rugby match going on that weekend. It became very clear to me just how much St.Patty’s Day was simply an American holiday.

This past week I’ve also had the chance to visit with my friend Alexis, who came to stay for a bit., it was great to see another familiar face.  We were able to just hang out and explore the city as well. This past Saturday we ventured out of familiar territory so she could get to experience the Doctor Who Shop. which I’m starting to think was the sole reason she came to visit me(HA!), as well as visiting Kensington Gardens, which was very beautiful even with the freezing rain. Stretches of vast green grass, dogs running about, and beautiful fountains to paint the scene.  I was most excited about this trip because I would be able to see Prince Albert’s memorial, but because of my luck, the monument was under construction and was closed. I must say they are very lucky I live here and not just a visitor because I would be very upset had this happened to me under those circumstances. The only benefit to this is now I have an excuse to return when it’s sunny and somewhat warmer, more enjoyable.

Sadly both of my friends have returned home, to normal life with their families and I can’t help but feel a little envious. I’m beginning to miss home, family and the warmth of the sun more so than normal, although now New Jersey is inches in snow. When I start to feel this way I have to stop and tell myself that in less than a week you will be getting ready to venture to Italy, Ireland and Leed’s, you can’t want to go home just yet. This little bit of excitement will be giving me the push I need to pass through this week. So here’s to an amazing Spring Holiday doing what I love to do, exploring new places. Till next time!

Cheers
x   

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a fun month you have had. Thanks for the adventure....again an amazing piece of writing..love ya baby girl

    ReplyDelete