Tuesday 16 April 2013

The Luck of Being irish.


It was week three of my Spring Holiday and with my trip to the Stansted Airport going much smoother than last time Tricia and I set out for Dublin, Ireland, the homeland of my ancestors. This had to be one of the most exciting trips I’ve had. It’s always been a dream of mine to visit and finally having the chance was amazing.
            Dublin itself was like any other city tall buildings, old antique looking windows as well as the statues to show their battles they’ve been through, but it was the people who lived in this great city that made it extra special, all the Gingers mulling about didn’t help the situation my love for them is endless ;). I have never met more people who seemed to be genuinely nice because that’s just who they are then what I found here. Just making a purchase at a local shop brought massive amounts of conversations over anything and everything, they seemed to care what I had to say. Even asking locals for directions, which was a task because no one had any idea where anything was, showed that they were more than willing to help us find our way.
            We happened to be staying in a Hostel right off of O’Connell Street, and this place could make for a story all by itself. Once inside this hostel it did not seem as though it was going to be that bad, but after not being able to check in until 12 and carrying my suitcase up three flights of stairs I was a bit apprehensive as to what this endeavor would cause. Our roommates consisted of two other females who spoke basically no English, which in all honesty was not that big of a deal. The room I had no problems with, it was the toilets, which will forever haunt my dreams. Two showers, looked as though they haven’t been cleaned since before Ireland was discovered as well as two toilets. These facilities were to be used by all females on this floor and that never ends well. The showers were a complete nightmare, only produced cold water and in order to turn them on a button had to be pressed and held in. When the water shot out you had better ducked for cover unless you wanted to feel as though you were being stung by a bee multiple times over. Let’s just say I gave up and did not believe showering was that necessary while I was in Dublin, believe me you would have felt the same.
During the first day, we decided to purchase a sightseeing bus ticket, touristy to the max, but proved to be the best decision. Able to hop on and off of the bus was beneficial seeing as there was quite a bit to see. Our first stop was the Guinness Factory, the best part of this tour was the free pint that I was able to consume in a gravity bar some 7 stories up. Shockingly enough the Guinness was quite delicious and the sight before me was beautiful. After the factory we hopped back on the bus and took a ride along the city, seeing a beautiful park in which the deer roamed freely and did not bother with people. This was pretty cool to witness seeing as back home they’d be frigid and scared half to death.
            Once we made it back to the hostel we decided to call it a night and finally got a decent nights sleep. The next day brought some souvenir shopping, a visit to Oscar Wilde’s statue, a walk around Dublin Castle and a shop to find our family crest’s, sadly my name is listed nowhere. We also had the chance to see Christ’s Church where a lot of the awesome show the Tudors was filmed. Sadly we couldn’t tour the church but the reason behind it was pretty amazing for the creator of The Tudors is working on a new show called The Stuarts and they were filming on location. This was really cool to find out because we were able to see some of the actors in their costumes and such.
When we were done with our sightseeing bit we finally took time out to act in true Irish fashion and visit some pubs. In our adventure we visited the Oldest Pub in Ireland, The Brazen Head (1198). It was a cute little place and I was shocked to see $ bills all over the wall, messages written in sharpie. We took to also visiting a few more pubs, hearing traditional Irish music and tasting some great cider. When we finally settled on the ending pub I must say we made the right choice. The atmosphere was amazing, the people happy and very friendly. There was a guy in the front doing cover songs and when Zombie by the Cranberries came on I almost lost it. It was already one of my favorite songs, but to hear it in an Irish pub has now given it more meaning with a great memory attached to it. It was the perfect ending to my time in Dublin, but I’m counting the days until I can go back and see the beautiful green hills.
            Once we left Ireland, our next stop was Liverpool, the birthplace of the legendary Beatles. This was an amazing experience as well, four people who changed the face of music grew up here and I was lucky enough to get the chance to see. Although Liverpool itself isn’t the prettiest (no offence), Albert Dock was quite charming. Nice little boats in the water and the Beatles Story museum up a head. This was a nice treat, being able to see some of the instruments they used to record items as well as John Lennon’s shades proved to be most exciting. If you do happen to decide to take a trip to Liverpool plan to stay longer than a night, there is a lot more to do. The past two weeks have been some of the best, and hold so many memories that I’ll never forget. Sadly now, it’s back to classes and preparations for my final essay. Before I know it, it’ll be time to go home, so here’s to making the most with what I’ve got left.

Till next time.
Cheers
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment