Sunday 28 April 2013

Can I have some Roman bath water?

What better way to put off writing papers, than updating this little blog for everyone? With these weeks winding down of my time abroad I find myself clinging to the last moments, taking in every bit I can and storing these images in my mind to hold me over. My last big adventure, not so big but made me venture out of London, included Stonehenge and Bath with my British Life and Culture class. While Stonehenge was both beautiful and exciting, I found myself over it by the 5th picture I had taken of the same sight, sun shining through the stone & the millionth tourist jumping in my picture. I’m not bashing it by any means, for it was a sight to see and therefore a trip worth taking, I just was thrilled within the first couple minutes and that was it. After we walked the circle around, my friends and I took to trying the famous rock cake in the area. While it was interesting and mildly delicious, it was no American cake that’s for sure. When we were finished up our next stop was Bath, and the minute we pulled up to this beautiful sight I felt as though I had stumbled right into a Jane Austen novel. The houses all looked the same, made out of the same colour stone creating a picturesque back drop for our guided tour. Musicians playing in the courtyards in front of the churches and their high street littered with people who looked as though they were clones of one another with beautiful blonde hair and a face to go along. We took a walking tour of the city, with an adorable old man who was more than willing to talk about anything and everything. We got to see what’s known as the circus, a circle of beautiful homes that cost more than I’d probably ever see in my lifetime. Further down the street we came across a park in which the grass was the greenest I have ever seen, the sky the brightest blue and fluffy clouds to go with. The temperature was perfect and I could not have asked for a better atmosphere. We also had the oppurtunity to visit the Roman baths which was an amazing sight. Although the water was pure green, due to pollution, the architecture and seeing just how old this structure was was pretty brilliant. They were a head of their time, and the layout of this place was fascinating, maybe one of the best parts of the trip. There was also a big rugby match taking place that day, so there were more men in drunken stances, ridiculous costumes, and slurring their words then previously seen. The sight was quite comical and I found myself becoming fascinated. When the coach was pulling away, the house lined in front of us, a beautiful river underneath, I started envying those who lived in Bath, I did not want to leave. Last Thursday I took a trip to the National History Museum, which was running rampant with school children, cute but a lot to handle. I just wanted to enjoy the Dinosaur exhibit in peace but found none, and while the exhibit was decent, and held a mechanical T-Rex, I found myself being spoiled by the Smithsonian and a bit disappointed on what was on display. Although the museum held small dinosaur part, it did hold a giant sized skeleton in the main lobby, which was pretty decent to see. The museum itself was rather large and held a lot of interesting things, but I was there for a research observation and all alone, so I figured I’d rather not test my luck and get out of there as fast as I could. Over this past weekend Tricia and I have seen more of the beautiful city of London, than we have all term. We took to trying out a vintage fair, where I snagged a sweet ring, JFK adorning the top, and tramping through the on again off again rain. At one point Starbuck’s was closing and the weather decided in that moment to downpour. We also stumbled upon a giant food market, that held anything you could think of, and even scored a delicious pulled pork sandwich. There were so many people at this market that it was hard to walk, but I guess they just let their noses direct them because the smells wafting out of everywhere were amazing. We visited a quant little museum that was once the site in which the Clink Prison stood. Many torturous things took place there and I learned a lot about how cruel they really could be. Finding out disturbingly enough that some of the persons died by being placed into a hole, which was filled with water carrying diseases and were forgotten about, their limbs falling off because they had been so waterlogged. I hope that painted as gruesome an image for you as it did for me, because that had to be the scariest thing I read while visiting this space. It was nice to get the chance to visit these places one more time. As this last week has come to a close, I am officially done with classes and now must bunker down with writing a million essays and starting to pack up my flat to travel home. Not something that sounds enjoyable in the least bit, but essay’s are all that’s expected of me for these courses so I can’t complain to much I guess, right? Til next time, Cheers xx

No comments:

Post a Comment